Thursday, April 18, 2013

I.R.S. "The Cutting Edge"

For those of you too young to remember...MTV used to actually play music videos and was focused on what was going on in the industry. Not focused on making greasy slime balls and spoiled immature sluts into celebrities.

I.R.S. The Cutting Edge aired on MTV from 1983-1987 and was on the last Sunday of the month. Some of my favorites featured on the show were The Alarm, The Smithereens, Hüsker Dü, Hoodoo Gurus and The Blasters to name a few. Although I didn't like some of the more trendy popular bands like The Cure, R.E.M., U2, or the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I know, I know, I can hear your reactions now...."BOOO! You don't know what you're talking about" Like I was saying, there were some great bands and it was a great time watching these videos and listening to the interviews. Every time I watched an episode, I would be introduced to at least one or two great new bands. That was back before You Tube when you actually had to work at finding new sounds and artists. Of course this was in the olden days when singers actually sang without the aid of computer programs and musicians learned thier instruments. It seems like such a foreign concept today to have an actual live performance where the band sounds better live then they do on the manicured recording. 
If you want to see some of these old performances and interviews, the show has been released on DVD. Check it out. It will definately bring back some great memories.

One last thing before I leave...I HATE MORRISSEY ALSO!!!! The Ramones Rule!

This and many other disturbing t-shirts available at BLTees.

Let us know what you'd like to see on a tee!

I.R.S. The Cutting Edge, The Alarm, U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, R.E.M., The Blasters, Squeeze, 80's new wave, alternative music, The CUre,

I.R.S. The Cutting Edge, The Alarm, U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, R.E.M., The Blasters, Squeeze, 80's new wave, alternative music, The CUre,

No comments:

Post a Comment